ShiVa Developer Forum • View topic - Hello again

Hello again

All That Remains

Hello again

Postby DeadVoxel » 2018-02-20 13:00

Yep, hello, hello, long time no see...
By "long time" I mean my last post was in 2011 and back then I was using ShiVa Advanced 1.9.1 in a 32 bit Vista computer. Well that's a long time for sure *chuckles*.

I've got a brand new design document in front of me. It looks great, maybe a bit dense; it'll be ported to Articy:Draft in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile I have to do the tech work: viability study, engine selection, all that stuff. Once the engine is selected I'll have to define the pipelines, workflows, integrations, procedures... I don't really enjoy that part, I feel it's office work but I'm a game developer. It's dirty work but I've already done it so many times. One of those times I got the studio I worked for at the moment to buy a couple of ShiVa Advanced licenses. Not-so-good old times... but ShiVa did its part, worked great.

In this new project I see things I did back in the day with ShiVa. So I tried downloading it and give it a try, see if this project fits ShiVa and the other way around. I still got time to do the testing, I'll have to check several engines but ShiVa has been my first option. So I went for my own license and... didn't find it. It took me a while to find the legacy resources download and still it didn't recognize my user info. Fortunately I've been able to bring back to life that old Q6600 computer I used then. I've dived into my old email client searching for it. Lots of beta program invitations with links that no longer work. Even an ActiveX control I think was used to generate a computer ID, I'm not sure. I've already submitted a support ticket, I know; this is more like some status update than whining out loud.

I'm killing some time with minor tasks while I get this sorted out. But I thought it would be nice to say hello, I'm back, not deprecated yet. And ask you guys what's going on, how are you doing, what's been changed and updated... And if you want to ask me whatever, well, that's what forums are for, right?

Well, see you around!
DeadVoxel
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Hello again

Postby broozar » 2018-02-21 03:30

Hi, and welcome back! Sorry for not answering you sooner, I just found your support ticket. Of course your license is still valid and we will reactivate your editor together. Please let me know through the support channel if you need any further assistance.
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hello again

Postby DeadVoxel » 2018-02-21 11:33

Hi Broozar!
I've just replied to the support ticket... tried the information you gave me and got to log in to the Legacy Resources download.
So I replied again to the ticket. The only question now is if I purchased the 2.0 upgrade or not; it's a bit weird I was receiving beta program emails in one email account and had purchased ShiVa from another one. We'll sort it out, thanks a lot!

So, about this new project. It's got a pretty original look but it depends on a frame-by-frame animation system using 3D meshes. Then the movement speed of the meshes depends on the animation speed. I did precisely that with ShiVa years ago and I've done it with other engines later, but with ShiVa it worked best and it was easier and more flexible than with others. When I wanted more flexibility with other engines everything got very complicated in no time. The more I look at this design document, the more I think it might fit ShiVa above anything else.
We'll see!

Oh, thanks again for helping me out!

Edit: Installed and migrated, time to remember how everything works! It brings back so good memories!
DeadVoxel
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Return to Misc