ShiVa Developer Forum • View topic - What ShiVa 3D Games Have Been Released for the Wii?

What ShiVa 3D Games Have Been Released for the Wii?

All That Remains

What ShiVa 3D Games Have Been Released for the Wii?

Postby Jakoby » 2018-11-11 20:20

NDA prevents me from saying more, but my team is currently working on publishing a Wii game. Given that circumstance, we'd like to look and see what others have been able to do with the hardware using ShiVa 3D, so that we know the engine's capabilities, in addition to just satiating our curiousity, as we haven't been able to find much regarding such publications.
Jakoby
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: What ShiVa 3D Games Have Been Released for the Wii?

Postby broozar » 2018-11-12 02:41

I had no idea that Nintendo still supported releasing for that platform. ShiVa support for it has stopped last year: https://www.facebook.com/shivaengine/ph ... 8881738762

As for published games, we don't keep a list of them. From the top of my head, "Voodoo Dice" should still be available on WiiWare, it's also on our Gallery page. I remember "Pirate Wings" being shown off on the platform at some point, but I can't find any reference to it on the Nintendo pages anymore.

If anyone in the community remembers more, feel free to post!
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What ShiVa 3D Games Have Been Released for the Wii?

Postby Jakoby » 2018-11-12 04:51

broozar wrote:I had no idea that Nintendo still supported releasing for that platform.

They do indeed still, but mostly for large developers to make easy ports (Ubisoft's Just Dance 2019 comes to mind). We're most likely going to be the last company to publish a game for the console, so we intend for it to be big, with a physical disc release and all.

As a bit of context, our game (to put it bluntly) requires that we push out as many polygons as possible, as we're making an open-world action-adventure game, comparable to something like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim or The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, with the main focus being an expansive and seamless 16 sq. km terrain without loading zones. Given an estimated triangle budget of 350,000 per frame @ 30 FPS by our art team (which is actually more achievable than it sounds: Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes close at up to 300,000 polygons per frame and @ 60 FPS to boot) we need to suck as much juice out of that aging hardware as much as possible without it choking, which is something we still need to evaluate with more experimentation with ShiVa, which we hope will get it the results we need.
Jakoby
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Return to Misc