ShiVa Developer Forum • View topic - Starting a new game is confusing

Starting a new game is confusing

You feel lost? You don't understand how to use ShiVa?

Starting a new game is confusing

Postby KhitKhat » 2016-10-13 03:40

Hello!

I know that Shiva mostly seems to have it's loyal crew. I come and go, mostly due to time constraints than interest. But let's not digress :)

Thing is (spoiler alert: I have a [censored] memory. Terrible.), I come back, and I have to puzzle out again how to start a new project. I think the majority, if not all, who read this will be along the lines of - "He's an idiot." ...well, fair enough. I can be. But in the interest of those who are new, in my most humble opinion, creating a new project, starting something new, first walking into Shiva and saying, "Okay! Let's start..." ... is not intuitive. Not at all. Even The Shiva Book, pointed of course at 1.9.x, gives directions to start a new project that do not actually work out with 2.0 ...so the first experience of anyone giving Shiva a try is total, blinding frustration. If I have to work and hunt down a way to start a new project... well, that's a bad experience to start with - what's in store when I start trying to do something even partially demanding?

But honestly, it's not clear to me, and almost any program I use I can figure out rather quickly how to start a new *whatever*. Usually File-New. Not that Shiva should sport such a thing, but it really should be that easy/obvious. My concern is, while there's an amazing bit of work that is under Shiva's covers, I think many will not bother to look with several other options just waiting to be played with where starting a new project is something you can do without even thinking about it.

Not to overstate the point, but I think Shiva is rather cool, and this has been a thorn in my paw since I start playing with 1.9.x ... At best it's the same with 2.0, I fear it's actually mildly worse. I'm not sure why this hasn't ever been addressed. Except perhaps I'm just alone in this point of view (insert cold wind, crickets in the night). So, just saying, in all humility, maybe it's something that should be given some thought...?

So, to end with a positive note: puppies! beer! warm sunny weather! :)

[edit]
I should probably state the way I think it's done, for those who are looking for that answer! I think it's clicking on the Shiva icon in the upper left, selecting Project, then clicking the + sign in the lower-right. NOT the same as selecting Project from the "main" menu at the top next to said icon.
KhitKhat
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Starting a new game is confusing

Postby lcocea » 2016-10-13 15:46

My 2 cents before people start kicking you butt :) I totally agree with you: step-by-step documentation for beginners is a bit scarce. But in this respect Shiva is no different from any mainstream software. You have three options: (1) Start digging, explore the samples and tutorials, read the forums, search the knowledge base, and figure it out on your own--I think this is what you are expected to do as an individual, indie developer, and it's not my favorite option; (2) Get ShiVa training--this is probably the best option for a company; (3) Buy this book (it's what I did). It took me a while to realize that, given the complexity of this software and the required pace of development, it would be impractical, both technically and financially, to maintain an up-to-date User's Guide and Developer's Guide (some may not know what I'm talking about). There is an excellent online Reference Guide though, which is actively maintained. The Knowledge base and Tutorials are equivalent to a ShiVa Cookbook.

To answer your question: briefly -- create a new folder for your project, set your current project in ShiVa Editor to that project, create a new game, create a new scene and add it to the game, create a main user AI and add it to the game, edit your AI to set the active camera and the current user scene; then populate the scene. This is where you have a look at one of the samples to see how it's done properly :) It would be nice if there was a "Create New Game Project" button to do all this for you.

Sometimes I sit down and think: ShiVa is such an amazing, mindblowing piece of software, in terms of both technical complexity and possibilities that it offers to the game developer. Keeping my fingers crossed for 2.0! ::champagne::
Last edited by lcocea on 2016-10-13 19:50, edited 2 times in total.
lcocea
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby KhitKhat » 2016-10-13 18:24

If ever there was a perfect answer to a general post by a noob, that is totally it. You have my sincere gratitude, not least because I was in fact expecting to be fleeced a bit :mrgreen:

Thanks for the book reference - I'll be having a look for sure.

This is actually the best thing I could have hoped for - not just for me, but for anyone else. It's a great general post with:

1) How to get started.
2) Where you may want to look [initially] if you're not entirely familiar with the lay of the land.

Hopefully the subject I gave it will turn up well in searches should the post fall off the front page - valuable starting points here.

2.0 - I'll drink to that!
KhitKhat
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby broozar » 2016-10-14 15:36

ShiVa is currently in a transition state between 1.9 and 2.0. All the beginner tutorials for 1.9 are therefor somewhat buried in the "legacy" site structure. Hope this helps:
http://www.shiva-engine.com/legacy/wiki
follow the big buttons :)

especially helpful should be:
- http://www.shiva-engine.com/legacy/wiki ... iVa_Minute
- http://www.shiva-engine.com/legacy/wiki ... ShiVa_Book
- http://www.shiva-engine.com/legacy/wiki ... t_Pipeline

...as well as our new dev portal:
http://www.shiva-engine.com/dev/
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby KhitKhat » 2016-10-16 22:13

Aha! Thanks broozar!

Not to get all sappy, but this forum seems so positive. It's a pleasure to drop in. Also, I am thrilled ShiVa 2.0 has been coming along. With materials now supported... well that's a big one for me. Probably for everyone.

Also, great links for noobs :)
KhitKhat
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby .eb » 2016-10-17 20:17

Hi KhitKhat!
There's a few of us that will be making the Shiva-Experience, rather easy to learn, as the final version comes closer.
Many of us want Shiva to be the successful tool it deserves to be..and within that is helping people get familiar with the tools as fast as possible while demonstrating powers Shiva holds.
Within the coming months, there will be a video course that will make you into a Shiva-User overnight, literally.
No charge for it, it will be on YouTube/Vimeo.
.eb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby KhitKhat » 2016-10-20 03:01

That sounds truly awesome! I think it goes without saying what a great resource that would be; very important work I'd say. Can't beat that price.

Thanks very much for the effort - I look forward to the first drop!
KhitKhat
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby shawnyadav » 2018-04-30 10:18

ShiVa stops responding and crashes itself upon completing few pending system updates on my win 10 pc. Any help guys?
shawnyadav
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby broozar » 2018-04-30 21:54

You should not do any production work while the system is updating. Close everything, let Windows do its thing, reboot, then continue working.
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Getting Started