ShiVa Developer Forum • View topic - Back to Shiva3d

Back to Shiva3d

You feel lost? You don't understand how to use ShiVa?

Back to Shiva3d

Postby spasski » 2018-03-12 21:01

Hi Shiva forum ,

It's been a while I used Shiva3d 1.9.2 but would like to use it again as it's still and will be an awesome game engine. I've read in the forum the UAT is no longer supported. Currently there is Shiva3d 2.0 beta instead but my first impression it's indeed a beta and therefore not fully working yet (I couldn't find the HUD editor for example). So is it the case that:

Shiva3d 1.9.2 should be used for the game development part?
Shiva3d 2.0 beta should be used for publishing (replacing the UAT now and 1.9.2 in the future)?

thanks!
spasski
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Re: Back to Shiva3d

Postby lcocea » 2018-03-12 21:49

spasski wrote:Shiva3d 1.9.2 should be used for the game development part?
Shiva3d 2.0 beta should be used for publishing (replacing the UAT now and 1.9.2 in the future)?

Yes, that's right. Material and Terrain editors are also missing in 2.0 beta and, last time I checked, I couldn't generate lightmaps. When you publish, you should use a copy of your game folder hierarchy else you may be unable to open your game in 1.9.2 again.
lcocea
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 2018-03-13 23:31

Hi and welcome back! You can use 2.0 as a publishing platform only if you want, but the beta has now come to a point where it can absolutely used in production, if you don't rely on the modules that are still currently missing. And no, Material and HUD certainly are not missing.

What's in the current ShiVa 2.0 beta 9:

- ShiVa 2.0 base framework
- Log module
- Game module (playing games, assigning resources, etc)
- Console module (for editor scripting)
- Authoring module with desktop, mobile, web and (on request) console engines
- Navigator module (help, docs, etc)
- Script Editor module (lua)
- Module Explorer module (make your own editor modules)
- Project Explorer module (file manager)
- AIModel module
- Scene Viewer/Attributes Editor/Ambience Editor combination module
- Android Studio support
- tvOS plugins and TV touch remote support
- high performance Qt5-powered Editor UI
- HUD module
- Font module
- Texture module
- Rendermap/Pixelmap settings editor
- Mesh viewer
- Sound/Music waveform rendering and preview playback
- Particle module
- Trails module
- SoundBank module
- AnimClip module
- TextureClip editor
- engine plugin module
- (partial) HTML5 plugin support
- new ShiVa server (you need to recompile the client too)
- Win10 UWP/VS2015 support
- Material module with 1.9.2 material support (PBR only accessible to developers)
- script debugger (lua)
- profiler module

What's missing:

- terrain editing (but imported 1.9.2 terrains do work)
- PBR for everyone
- static lighmapping
- animation curve editing
- some enhancements we have planned but not published yet

@Icocea if you are missing a material editor, your installation is broken. Please reinstall the current beta version of 2.0 and remove the "ShiVa" folder in AppData, Library or /home, based on your OS.

@spasski same goes for you. if you are missing the HUD editor, your installation is broken. HUD editing has been in 2.0 for over a year. Please refer to the beta program notes and installation instructions.

Generally speaking, the core of the new editor is quite stable and most modules, apart form the ones mentioned above, are fully working. The engines (mobile, desktop etc.) are not only fully working and updated regularly, but also a requirement for publishing (esp. mobiles, as the engines in UAT 1.4 for iOS and Android are too out of date and will not be accepted in the app review process). All games you see published with ShiVa these days are using the new 2.0 engines. Unless you make heavy use of terrain, 2.0 is already a full replacement for 1.9.2. In the areas where it is not, you can make your terrain etc. in 1.9.2, export as STE, import in 2.0, where it will work seamlessly (but not the other way round - please always make a backup, as Icocea said).
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby spasski » 2018-03-16 10:49

Thank you broozer!

I admit I was a bit lazy (sorry). After deleting the shiva folder from AppData/Local and a reinstall of Shiva 2.0 the HUD editor looks much more like I woud have expected :)
Today I will take some time to play around with Shiva 2.0 (for sure, it looks very promising!).
spasski
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby spasski » 2018-03-16 19:57

So glad I rediscovered Shiva3d!
spasski
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Return to Getting Started