ShiVa Developer Forum • View topic - [JPPacks] Scripting packs by JPierron

[JPPacks] Scripting packs by JPierron

The new ShiVa Asset Store. A forum for product inquiries, reviews, comments and critique.

[JPPacks] Scripting packs by JPierron

Postby jpierron » 2013-08-23 18:41

Hi everyone,

Please let me introduce myself. I am Julien Pierron, I was the Gameplay Programmer at Stonetrip for several years (known as Piedcarre).
During the past years, I also had a secondary freelance activity in the development of iOS applications.

I am for instance the game scripter of Babel Rising Cataclysm and some other game.

It is as a freelance and with my freelance forum account that I post this message.
I have developped several product for the ShiVa Store, containing scripts, to help game scripters to do complex tasks and to save time by using these products built in features.

These scripts are embedded in .stk files that can be loaded at runtime on any platform. Don't worry, it's not diffucult to load these packs as I provide an AIModel you will call to automatically load your packs.

I currently have developped about 15 packs, each one does a specific task and does it well. You'll find packs for managing sprites, animations, scroll views, HUD improvements and much more.

As the official ShiVa Store is not back yet, I have created my own web page to sell my products. You can find them by using the following link:
https://www.julien-pierron.com/shiva-store

All the details about the packs, the descriptions, APIs, download and purchase links are on that page.
There's also a demo you should see, featuring functionalities of several packs.

Note that all the packs can be used for free while in ShiVa Editor. That's when running on the target device, you'll need an activation code you'll get when purchasing the product.
As they are free to use in ShiVa Editor, please take your time to try some of them, understand what they can do for you. For sure you'll find something interesting that matches your need.

I really suggest you to take a look at the JPAnimation pack which is, I really think, wonderful. It will allow you to animate everything (positions, colors, rotations, opacity, anything...) with a very easy solution. It also provide a way to call functions with a delay, you will be able to set a HUD component visible in 5 seconds for instance. You really should try it.

I guess you'll find something useful for you, and I am really open to any suggestions and feedbacks.

Regards.
Last edited by jpierron on 2018-04-04 20:07, edited 5 times in total.
jpierron
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: [JPPacks] Scripting packs by JPierron, available right now

Postby lcocea » 2013-08-23 19:48

Hi Julien, it's good and reassuring to see another (former) Stonetrip expert returning to "base camp", even if under a new hat! I certainly will explore your JPPacks.
lcocea
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby jpierron » 2013-08-23 20:28

That new hat doesn't mean I'm not part of the Stonetrip team anymore :)
jpierron
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby Shaderman » 2013-08-23 20:46

Very interesting stuff! Will check it in the next days.
Shaderman
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby DoctorPepper » 2013-08-24 03:22

I am actually interested in Picker and ScrollView.

So ScrollView will actually allow me to throw away Lists, and replace it with a custom defined container, holding items other than text and square icons? For instance a list of N levels, represented by a rectangular texture. Can i also scroll horizontally?
DoctorPepper
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby jpierron » 2013-08-24 10:30

Yes absolutely.
You just have to create and place once your custom items in the container and JPScrollView will make its content scrollable horizontally or vertically with just 1 line of code.
jpierron
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby FlyNN » 2013-08-24 11:36

Hi.
I'm trying to test some plugins. But can't get it to work :roll: .

When I try to import JPPackLoader_1_1.ste, I get message:
[+ Warning ] {Import/Export }Cannot open : D:\JPPackLoader_1_1.ste

Plugins import ok, but shiva can't load dll's:
[o Message ] {Load/Save }Found 0 statically linked native plugin
[+ Warning ] {Debug }self signed certificate
[+ Warning ] {Load/Save }::LoadLibrary failed with code: 126
[+ Warning ] {Load/Save }Could not open native plugin file : D:/temp/temp_shiva/Plugins/com.jpierron.jpanimation/Contents/Windows/JPAnimation_Windows.dll

I think, I do something wrong... I never use plugins yet. :oops:

edit: I trying it on Shiva 1.9.2 b5 Basic
Shiva Basic 1.9.2, UAT 1.4.0
Samsung Galaxy S III
------------------------
Sorry for my English
FlyNN
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby jpierron » 2013-08-24 11:45

Please contact me via skype, my skype name is jpierron_skype.
I will help you to understand and solve your issue.

Edit: OK, there's was an issue with the download of the files, which were sometimes corrupted. It should be fixed now.
Last edited by jpierron on 2013-08-24 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
jpierron
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby giggsy » 2013-08-24 17:44

You got some quite awesome looking stuff here!
Since you got Shiva background info, maybe you can also share some technical bits.

1) How are you doing this technically?
Code: Select all
JPAnimation.enterAnimationMode ( )
object.setTranslation ( hObject, 5, 0, 0, object.kGlobalSpace )
JPAnimation.leaveAnimationMode ( )

If enterAnimationMode, do you override the object.setTranslation function pointer or what? :)

2) How are you able to extend the api with functions like
Code: Select all
user.cancelEvent ( hUser, sAIModel, sHandler )
object.cancelEvent ( hObject, sAIModel, sHandler )
object.destroy

which shiva can't seem to to out of the box??? Do you need a custom shiva version for that? =D Or did you e.g. also override the sendEvent function?

3) What platforms are your plugins running on?

OT, but still I have to make a note on this:
Hamungousaur wrote:I'm sorry, but your prices are too high.

From a business perspective, if you want to barely cover the development costs, you can't give away your plugins for 5-10$ (the community is too small, and the development time too high). Looking at the prices listed, they seem to be more than fair ... try accomplishing that feature set with that budget.
Comparing "if I buy all your plugins it'll cost me more than a shiva (basic) license", is like comparing apples with pears imho ... no offence though.
giggsy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby jpierron » 2013-08-24 18:03

giggsy wrote:If enterAnimationMode, do you override the object.setTranslation function pointer or what? :)

That's absolutely that.

giggsy wrote:How are you able to extend the api with functions like user.cancelEvent ( hUser, sAIModel, sHandler ), did you also override the sendEvent function

Yes exactly, I catch the sendEvent function and create my own event stack for being able to cancel any event at any time.

giggsy wrote:Do you need a custom shiva version for that?

Absolutely no need for a custom ShiVa version, it has always been possible do to that with any ShiVa version. Just nobody known it was possible ^^

giggsy wrote:What platforms are your plugins running on?

This is a point I have to clarify, because several people are asking me that (and I understand because the concept I have imaginated is new for the ShiVa community, I have never saw someone else doing that):
- Packs are not plugins, just .stk files containing lua scripts.
- As it is lua scripts, it is compatible with absolutely all of the platforms, and also with the future ones (no compilation, just lua).
- Yes, there's also a plugin provided with each pack, but it is only a plugin with empty functions, matching the pack API, in order to have code completion and colorization while scripting in the editor. They won't be exported with your game for the target device.

And thanks for your note, yes creating all of that took me several months, and I don't think the price is too high. I guess you'll understand, Hamungousaur, with those packs you'll save a lot of time, and indirectly money, probably much more than what the pack costs to you. And if you think the packs cost is still too high, you can just not buy them :)

Best regards.
jpierron
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Next

Return to Asset Store