ShiVa Developer Forum • View topic - Visible seams on a terrain without textures

Visible seams on a terrain without textures

Shaders, Level design, Sound design, Special effects

Visible seams on a terrain without textures

Postby javlik » 2016-12-27 20:31

Hi, I am using a terrain (created out of a heightmap) in my game and currently I am facing a strange issue. Let me describe:

I am making my first game in ShiVa which uses a terrain without any textures. When I turn on the "receive dynamic lighting" and set an appropriate color settings for the ambient and diffuse light, the seams that are farther from the camera start to be disconcertingly visible. The interesting part of this issue is that the color of the seams obviously depends on the diffuse color of the terrain. The seams are always significantly brighter than the diffuse color.

I tried a bunch of different settings when creating the new terrain but the result is always pretty the same.

If you are willing to help me to get rid of those unwanted artifacts - look at the attached picture. It clearly depicts this issue.

Thanks to all who is willing to help me.
Thanks to the creators of ShiVa. It's a great tool.

http://javlik.rf.gd/pix/snapshot_161227.PNG
javlik
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Visible seams on a terrain without textures

Postby broozar » 2016-12-27 20:52

indeed looks weird, but hasn't been reported yet, so chances are there's something weird going on and not a systemic problem. Are you planning on using no texture at all in the final product as well, or will you use a texture in the end?

In any case, i'd suggest you make a single material layer, call it "base" or something like that, and make a render pass over all terrain chunks (low quality and low res to save time). Let me know if the problem is still there.

If you are willing to share the heightmap, I could have a go at generating the terrain on my machine and check what's going on.
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby javlik » 2016-12-27 21:26

Broozar, first thanks for such a quick reply.

Next, here are my answers:
Yes, I do plan to NOT USE textures at terrains at all.
I tried to follow the steps you suggested: create a material layer and render it (I tried all the variants: preview & production, Texture & Lightning) - unfortunately, I see no difference after that but I am not sure if I got your ideas well. What do you exactly mean by the low res and low quality settings for the rendering? Could you direct me. Sorry for my ignorance.

Here is my heightmap: http://javlik.rf.gd/pix/output.tif
I would really appreciate your opinion about the cause of this problem.
javlik
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby broozar » 2016-12-27 22:10

i won't be able to test today, but tomorrow morning. in the mean time, you can try 2 things:

- make an empty terrain, then select all chunks, go to the Geometry tab, and then apply the Heightmap in there (instead of building a terrain directly from the heightmap)
- there's a "soft borders" slider in there, does it change your visuals if you set it to 0 or 1?

[EDIT] PS: can't reproduce so far.

(click for bigger picture)
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby javlik » 2016-12-28 16:13

Dear broozar,

the issue seems to be resolved. I simply unchecked the checkbox "Force per vertex computations" in the Light attributes and the artifacts are gone now.
Before this, I tried everything as you suggested - the result was always the same. Then I looked at your screenshot and realized some things...

You did help me a lot even though your contribution might not be obvious at first sight :). Thanks a lot.
javlik
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Return to Creation